IconUK .. yes we are a go

As hopefully you will have seen ICONUK 2015 is going ahead ..

Registration will be open shortly and please start thinking about those abstracts as you will soon be able to put those forward too.

The call for abstracts will be open until the 31st of July .. and sessions announced in August.

Of course if you wish to sponsor this amazing event the sponsor pack will be available in the next few days ..  you can also mail sponsors at iconuk dot org for more info 🙂

Please check the ICONUK site for further information.

Calling my developer friends

Hello developer types .. as most of you know I do a lot of work with the iCosplay anti-bullying charity and we need some help (please).

We are looking to reward costumers for doing charity work, community work, visiting sick kids in hosplital, etc . Their progress will be voted on via FB which is straight forward enough – but at the end of the year the top community costumers will be invited to the Wyntercon event in Eastbourne (in Oct 2015)  for the *end of season* pageant where ultimately they will be recognized for everything they have done throughout the year.

We are after a mobile app that we can use for the team to mark each of the entrants – on their costume, community assistance and charity work and anyother details that they can provide about what they have done through-out the year. It needs to be able to run on ‘droid and ios, the backend / server can be anything really as long as I can put up a server for it ..

If any one can help out .. we will be eternally grateful, will happily promote your awesome skills via the iCosplay site and FB page and you will get tickets for the Wyntercon event.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give us on this .. please ping me via twitter / FB or Skype if you think you can help us ..

Come see us at Engage.UG

We are thrilled that our session Adm11. Connx install in 45 minutes or less, or your money back – has been selected for Engage.

It’s going to be a great conference – 65 speakers in total, among them 30 IBMChampions!

The agenda; looks fantastic – jammed with sessions into 5 tracks over 2 days. As well as all the great content, there are social events, speed sponsoring, a chance to network and catch up with old friends and make new ones.

It is one of the best user groups around and Theo and the team work tirelessly to put on an amazing 2 days. If you work with IBM Collaboration software in any way, shape or form its a fantastic opportunity to gain more knowledge.

Session Info:

Adm11. Connx install in 45 minutes or less, or your money back
Connx install in 45 minutes or less, or your money back (Entry fee €1.00 *)
New to Connections Admin / Dev? Need an environment to test your development? Need a test system or proof of concept? Don’t know where to start? Never fear – We can help you become Collaboration Super Hero!!!
In this session we will help you plan, install and most importantly CONFIGURE a connections environment to fit what YOU need it for.
Need to get data into your new system – No problem. We will guide you through migrating / importing existing Connections data into your new Connections environment.
From software required, DB selection, useful tools and trouble shooting tips – for Linux and Windows – whether you are an admin or a developer we will enable you.
* Money back for this session only. Note – the actual install takes a lot more than 45 mins 🙂
** All money goes to Dander4Dosh 2015

Come and see us just before lunch (11:30am) on Tuesday 31st March  – Room C: Vermeylen 2nd floor

MWLUG here I come

I have been a bit quiet on the blog lately. I have been a little busy both work wise and home wise what with making costumes and building armour (more of that in another post) but this weekend I fly out to my very first MWLUG.

mwlug2014_banner

I am really looking forward to it after hearing so many great things about it. I will be speaking on the thursday morning, but am arriving on sunday the 24th so will get to spend a few days seeing the sites and working from the hotel room.

If you are going to be there I am looking forward to catching up with old friends and hopefully making some new ones

dandering for dosh -the story so far

We are just about to start dandering for dosh day 3 & so far despite a few injuries (mainly to me), some very rough terrain and much scorching of the sun – we all appear to be enjoying it 🙂

Day 2 mostly involved us being mountain goats, although we did get an hour on the beach on the fabulous Warren & kitty ‘ s inflatable sofas.

Loving the dander so far – more news and pictures to follow ;).

Registration for ICONUK now open

Registration for Icon UK is now open

Head over to the registration page and sign up early as placed are limited.

If you would like to speak please submit your abstracts before 30th June. There are four tracks this year, Management/Strategy, Development, Admin and Open Source. If you are interested in sponsoring please email sponsors@iconuk.org.

I am all resisted and really looking forward to the event – see you there 🙂

Please sponsor us Dandering for Dosh

The Cube Soft team (Nathan and I) have joined with some other fantastic members of the ICS (Lotus) Community and are joining this years Dander for Dosh.

10 Geeks, 100 Miles, 5 days – what could possibly go wrong :)

In previous years a group of community members have raised money for worthy causes with a sponsored walk across some of the British Isles most beautiful country side.

D4DThis years walk is the Lleyn Peninsula Coastal Path (Edge of Wales Walk) 85 miles in five days, and as our coordinator the  lovely Eileen Fitzgerald says “.. there will be blisters , there will be tears .. but most definitely there will be laughter and wine :-) .. ”

This is a truly global community effort with community members from Ireland, NI, the Netherlands, UK and the USA who have signed up so far. This is the route we are taking Lleyn Peninsula Coastal Path (Edge of Wales Walk)

msfThis year the charity that we are supporting is MSF (Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders) a fantastic organization that does some amazing work in developing countries.  Steve himself has worked with them in the past. So go on and give generously !!

jg-logo-header-purple

If you would like to sponsor me/us checkout our just giving page or for any of the team please head over to the team just giving page and hand over your hard earned euro, pounds and dollars.

You can also text a donation

textDonate

it is for a fantastic cause – thank you SO much in advance from this years team.

Help shape connections search

If you are interested in helping IBM shape the search application inside Connections there is a survey that you can participate in.

This is a short survey to better understand attitudes and behaviours around search and how users – well – use it 🙂

You can find the search survey here

Fill it in and you will make a Connections product manager very happy 🙂

Odd issue with Connections Mail

I have been looking to implement Connections mail for a while for one of my customers, after finally sorting out some SSO issues we had been seeing I was ready to deploy into their DEV/TEST environment. No problem I thought – Connections mail is a very simple install a couple of config files and a quick wsadmin command to get the help to work.

Once I had deployed I was seeing the strangest issues –

Contact your system administrator:
Missing element with class=”os-site-mail-notify”

After spending a few hours trying to work out what the issue was, sanity checking myself in the Connections skype chat and much google-ing – I threw in the towel and opened a PMR. I did my usual of explaining the situation, listing OS and level, Connections versions and fixes etc and sending in a screen shot, Log files and the Connections mail config file – a couple of hours later I had a response.

It appears that something has changed between V4 and V4.5 of connections – I had customisations brought over from V4 and copied the header.jsp as it looked on first glance that there was no changes between 4 & 4.5

In Version 4.5 the span for the mail notify icons is :
–%><span class=”os-site-mail-notify”></span><%–

Previously it was:
–%><span id=”os-site-mail-notify”></span><%–

Changing this span from id to class resolved my issue.

So the moral of the story is even if you think nothing has changed – it most likely has

Big thanks to Jonathan P. Dormady Staff Software Engineer in Connections Support for finding me a solution so quickly

Speaking at Engage

I will be speaking at Engage by BLUG in March – a big thank you to Theo and the team for the opportunity

On Monday the 17th of March I will be Christoph Stoettener’s assistant again in delivering – Adm04. Practical Solutions for Connections Administrators – Tips and Scripts for Your Daily Business – 14:45 – 15:30, room: B

On Tuesday the 18th of March I will be speaking with my friend and college Mr Tim Clark – Adm08. Collaboration Stack – Lessons Learned at the Coal Face – 16:00 – 17:00, room: B

I am looking forward to my first BLUG / Engage as it is such a great conference, the full agenda can be found on the Engage web site